WELCOME VIP's

Come follow the action. Add yourself as a follower and get your invitation details.





Monday, November 19, 2012

A Terminal History




A piece of Austin legend?  Sure.  The best honky tonk in Texas?  Without a doubt.  A place of memories and good times?  Always scattered across my memory.  Being strangled by development, the most pervasive means of cultural annihilation?  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Anyone who has ever been to the “Spoke” will remember the low ceiling, semi cold beer, and the museum.  The owner James White and Willie looked a little younger then but I guess we all were.  

I know I know....it’s still there.  It’s not gone.  It’s a landmark.  I know.  Anyone who has been in Austin long will tell you it won’t be that much longer.  I’m mad at things these days.  Things like ear hair, getting stiff (in a bad way), being on the AARP mailing list, but most of all I’m mad at development.  Austin has done this before.  Up and down they go running out what made Austin Weird in the first place.  It’s not the first time but I’m afraid it may be the last.  What is it about destroying things that have history that we find so appealing?  It can’t be just about making a buck?  If it is don’t tell me I am holding out for a better answer.  If you have it then share it.  In the mean time, get down to Austin and cut a rug at the Spoke while you can still hear the music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment