WELCOME VIP's

Come follow the action. Add yourself as a follower and get your invitation details.





Monday, February 3, 2014

Rumtek Monastery Sikkim






There is a very famous monastery about an hour outside of Gangtok Sikkim.  It’s current holy superstar is now at the feet of the Dali Lama himself.  It’s most famous for it’s grand Stupa which is made of gold.  Now I’m not sure if you guys know what a stupa is but I sure didn’t.  To be honest I have now seem two of them in India and Nepal and still really don’t know.  The most famous one in Rumtek was in this separate building away from the monks and had to be unlocked, which took some effort.  It was a golden box like thing that was said to hold the heart of the previous most holy monk at the monastery.  Now that sounds a little extreme but that was what was said.  The monk who showed me around had just come off of praying for 48 hours straight not including a bathroom break.  He had no formal English training but spoke better than I did.  Keep in mind I’m from Texas.  The thing I found the most interesting was the fact that there are so many young people with such strong beliefs that I now think changing the world is possible.  It may not be completely the way we would like for it to be but at least parts of it are in the hands of some very kind, peaceful, and dedicated young people.  I am also loaded with blessed prayer flags so time to live on the edge again.

In another place, the world also lost a very interesting and dedicated man last Sunday.  I was not a friend but only a bystander in his life.  He had vision and energy beyond what anyone would have found in Ben Wheeler, Texas.   So tonight in Chitwan National Reserve in Nepal.  I will drink a toast to Mr. Brooks Gremmels and hope his path continues with fast cars, local music, and dream building.  You will be missed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment