WELCOME VIP's

Come follow the action. Add yourself as a follower and get your invitation details.





Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Now Jasper, that is a road!



No question about it.  FM 170 from Terlingua to Fort Leaton is the prettiest stretch of road in Texas.  Sure there are some good ones...337 from Vanderpool to Leaky for example, is right up there but none match the awe inspiring power of the "river road".  That is even more true when the Rio Grande is running over 6,000 cfs.   Having canoed the river at 4800 I can tell you that is one hell of a ride.  A big plus is getting to the entrance to Big Bend Ranch State park.  Tiny at 290,000 acres compared to the National park, it just sits there waiting.  I drove the 27 miles into Sauceda Station on washed out rutted dirt today only find out that I was the ONLY one in the park.  I would have to say that Felicia's job at the gift shop would have to rank high as one of the most boring anywhere.  The old Mexican ranch house at Sauceda is one of my favorite places to stay in Texas.  Old hand painted tiles on the floors and in the bathrooms combine with 3 foot thick adobe walls and tons of windows to make the place completely cool during the hot times.  I can just see the dinners around the massive oak dinning table when the place was a ranch many years ago.

Bushwacking does not have to be uncivilized however.  Nothing like a great chardonnay by an old cattle pen in the middle of day.  Yes, no emergency work today.  In the tradition of the great explorers like Magellene, Columbus, and Anthony Bourdain, I have managed to "wax philosophy" while laughing at death from snakes, the sun, wild indians, and a low supply of crackers for my cheese.  I have returned to my duties appreciative of the perfect silence and desolation of this place.  Again I say....Viva Terlingua.


No comments:

Post a Comment