WELCOME VIP's

Come follow the action. Add yourself as a follower and get your invitation details.





Monday, December 23, 2013

The Kingdom of Hampi




I woke up very early this morning and went out to the rice patties.  Acres and acres of terraced ponds each perfectly constructed and overflowing into each other like a champagne glass fountain at a posh wedding.  There were a couple of mats and pillows next to the start of the fields and I laid there and watched the night say good bye to the day.  As I lay there I noticed streaks of black flying in front of me.  Bats were taking the mosquitos from the air only inches from me.  I sat there watching this amazing show for 45 minutes until the light made the bats disappear.  It was truly one of those strange and magical things that happen to travelers when they do something different.  It was just me, the bats, and the light.....

Hampi was one of the sites of the Hindu Kingdom in the 14 to 16 century.  It is a massive and beautiful ruin that is simply enormous.  It covers several square miles of land and now props up a small city.  Huge temples and several markets with pillars that run for miles cover the landscape.  To get there from my lodging it was a short ferry ride across the river.  I am staying on a island in the middle of the vasaparasu river.  The river is life to this part of India and is to be used and worshiped.  It is truly a wonderful place that I had not even heard about a few days ago.  Tomorrow it is time to leave.  Hampi is dry.  By dry I mean Texas backward county dry.  As in, no Alcohol at all dry.  How did the Baptist get ahold of a Hindu city?  Amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment