WELCOME VIP's

Come follow the action. Add yourself as a follower and get your invitation details.





Sunday, April 22, 2012

everything you always wanted to know about turtles


There is something surreal about watching a prehistoric beast the size of a queen bed drag up on the beach and begin a ritual that was been the same for thousands of years.  That was my night last night on a remote stretch of Bluff Beach on Isla Colon.  The spectacle was more than I had bargained for on this dark and moonless night.  I spent two hours walking in the deep soft sand with the surf raging in the dark only to be turtleless.  It was well after midnight and the taxi was not going to wait for me.  Somehow the prospect of a sandy night on the beach was not that appealing.  Just as I was ready to leave Emilo came running out of the dark.  The ship had landed.  Emilo was one of the young guys who guarded the turtles on this stretch of beack.  Doris as I am now calling her was already hard at work digging out a nest to lay her 80 or so eggs.  Her single minded determination was obvious even through the red glow of the turtle flashlight.  

The only thing that would have made it better was if Pakis was open at that hour.  It wasn't of course but I had gotten to enjoy Pakis after my long hike in the afternoon.  Some great food and a couple of wonderful Cipiranhas and I was ready for the turtle night.  It's impossible to know what is just around the corner where to road ends.

Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment